When we encounter potential stressors in our day to day lives, our brain releases cortisol to signal to other parts of our body that we’re under attack. This hormonal response will influence our emotional state, and consequently, the actions and behaviours we take.
Within the brain, the limbic system (which includes the amygdala and the hippocampus) is refereed to as your brain’s “emotional circuit board”. And it’s exactly this system that controls your emotional experiences and perception of the world around you, placing your experiences, perceptions and them into categories of either being positive or negative.
Researchers have found that our emotions are created from our evaluation, judgment, interpretation and explanation of the events that happen to us. Emotions are seen as the driving force behind your levels of motivation and are communicated through the behaviours and actions you take, from the emotions you interpret, on a daily basis.
If you have a habitual response to situations that involve stress, your brain remembers them and repeats that behaviour each time a similar stressful situation happens. As part of the coaching process we identify the mental triggers signalling to your brain that you are under attack kicking your “flight or fight” response in order to create new neural pathways in the brain on how you want your brain to process these “stressors” – empowering you to master your emotions and perceived levels of stress.
So, how can you start to turn off your flight or fight response?
Here are my Top 3 Strategies You Can Do Yourself to Start The Process Of Turning Off Your Fight Or Flight Response
1. Deep Diaphragm Breathing Exercises and Meditation
There are so many guided meditations on youtube these days – pick some you like the style of, and try and integrate this into your daily morning routine, starting with 2-3 minutes and working your way to 20 minutes, if time allows.
2. The Neuroscience Cognitive Process we cover in my Stress and Adrenal Fatigue Masterclass to identify your hidden triggers to stress and what to do about them.
This means paying attention to the present moment without judgment. There are many apps to assist you with this initially, as well as guided meditations that increase consciousness. The bonus to taking the time to develop mindfulness is that it’s easier to recognise when your fight or flight response is kicking in. You become more aware of the sensations and mental triggers that come up in your brain and body.
Your next steps?
- Attend my Stress and Adrenals Masterclass – I’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of unlocking your hidden mental triggers to de-stress, gain more energy, clarity, vitality and happiness.
- Grab a copy of my Adrenal Fatigue Guide, which guides you through the EXACT process we cover in my Stress and Adrenals Masterclass.
- If you’re ready to re-set your adrenals and recovery then book your pre-interview to my Fatigue to Flourish Adrenal Fatigue Wellness Coaching Program, where you’ll take the stress out of creating the strategies, habits and action steps you need to your long term recovery, the consistency in healthy, nourishing meals that will support the healing process of your gut and adrenals and re-wire how you deal with the unconscious mental triggers keeping your adrenals stressed and holding you back from true recovery.
About the Author
Anna’s mission is to connect, support and empower people who are stressed, overwhelmed and fatigued to start taking control.”
Anna does this through her Fatigue to Flourish Wellness Coaching program, workshops and online challenges by working together with you to create your powerful vision, in her four key pillars: unlocking your hidden mental triggers to stress, increasing your energy naturally, wholefood nutrition – energy eating like a BOSS and positive emotions – optimising your emotions for deeper engagement, connection and life satisfaction.
Anna’s Fatigue to Flourish Wellness Coaching Program look at your current approach and develop strategies, habits and behaviour change for instant relief from fatigue, overwhelm and frustration whilst regaining energy, vitality and your zest for life.
For more info please visit fatiguetoflourish.com.au