What do great professional athletes, successful business leaders and entrepreneurs all have in common that makes them seem resilient in the face of adversity? What seems to guide this successful bunch of folks, and with such unfazed clarity, seemingly from one success to another?
One of these concepts that achievers in their respective fields practice is the exercise of “fear setting”. Fear setting is based on stoic principles that will allow you to bust through your mental barriers holding you back from recovery, and any limiting beliefs and powerfully align you with your goals, stat.
Fear setting was a term recently coined by the author Tim Ferriss, but the practice of fear setting is a centuries old concept based in Stoicism, a practical philosophy first recorded by the Philosopher Marcus Aurelius.
By working through your mental barriers through the practice of “fear setting” you’ll see your fears for what they are and be able to experience more fulfillment from both daily and moments and life experiences.
Here’s how it works:
Fear is a key emotion I see in the women I coach, holding them back from not only recovery from Adrenal Fatigue, but creating the life they truly deserve. So when we introduce the practice of fear setting it enables tough decision making to be made, with clarity and confidence, which in turn, develops greater resilience against adversity . This is exactly the space we work in – an empowered approach to day to day living.
So, without further hoo-haa, here’s my Two Step Process to Fear Setting – which will give you the clarity of what you want, what’s holding you back as well as keep you accountable to take action. Because as Frank Zappa once said, if you choose your life based on what your mum, dad or priest tells you, you deserve it.
My Two Step Fear Setting Process for Greater Life Fulfilment
Step 1 – Write down your fears.
Essentially, fear setting is like goal setting – except you’re writing down your fears instead of your goals. These are the fears specifically that are holding you back FROM particular goals.
List all the fears associated with that goal in a list for eg. this might look like this.
If your goal is to launch your own business, your fears might be:
- What if I’m not successful and I get into debt?
- What if I can’t support my family?
- What if my family think I’m reckless and leave me?
- What if I can’t get back my old job?
- What if it blows up in my face and everyone laughs at me?
- What if I hate it?
Step 2 – Reality Check
In the second step of the fear setting process, you’ll do two things:
- Write down how LIKELY each of those fears in your list are to become in reality ( from a scale of 1-10, 10 being certainty)
- Next to the scores, write down the contingency plans in each scenario – so, what would you do if your fear did happen?
Essentially, this is something we use in my Fatigue to Flourish Wellness Coaching Program called cognitive restructuring via ‘thought challenging’ but it’s in a more structured manner.
For eg. this might look like this:
- What if I’m not successful and I get into debt? – 6/10 – I can live off savings/look for my old job
- What if I can’t support my family? –3/10 – We can make do off of one salary/I can ask my parents for help/I can get another job
- What if my family think I’m reckless and leave me? – 1/10– If it did happen, I should question the loyalty of my family
- What if I can’t get back my old job? – 5/10– But there are many other jobs I could do. Even if it means working od jobs or in consulting for a while.
- What if it blows up in my face and everyone laughs at me? – 2/10 – I will just say at least I tried.
- What if I hate it? 1/10 – I just change my job back
- By following this easy Two Step Fear Setting Process, you’re exposing your fears as what they truly are, and you’ll realise that most are not being worthy of your stress.
- Now you know what you’ll do if you do find yourself in those scenarios and you have robbed your concerns of the power they might have previously had over you.
- Your experiences in life are in fact something that happens within you. Your fears, much like your experiences, are dependent on the way you interpret and react to them. So when you address your hidden mental triggers that guide both your conscious and unconscious thoughts, you can break through the mental barriers that flare your symptoms of fear, chronic stress and anxiety holding you back from recovery and a full life.
This Fear Setting Process gives you an insight into just one of the countless strategies within my Fatigue to Flourish Wellness Coaching Program, based on a positive psychology and neuroscience approach.
To make this process easier, I’ve created a Bonus Fear Setting Worksheet with this blog post, to give you a streamlined approach to tackle what’s holding you back from the life you DESERVE!
Your next steps?
- Grab a copy of your Fear Setting Worksheet that simplifies the process of fear setting in two easy steps.
- If you’re ready to re-set your adrenals and start your journey to recovery, then book your pre-interview to my Fatigue to Flourish Adrenal Fatigue Wellness Coaching Program, where we co-create your vision to recovery by creating the strategies, habits and action steps YOU need to your long term recovery, the consistency in healthy, nourishing meals that will support the healing process of your gut and adrenals and re-wire how you deal with the unconscious mental triggers keeping your adrenals stressed and holding you back from true recovery.
About the Author
Anna’s mission is to connect, support and empower people who are stressed, overwhelmed and fatigued to start taking control.”
Anna does this through her Fatigue to Flourish Wellness Coaching program, workshops and online challenges by working together with you to create your powerful vision, in her four key pillars: unlocking your hidden mental triggers to stress, increasing your energy naturally, wholefood nutrition – energy eating like a BOSS and positive emotions – optimising your emotions for deeper engagement, connection and life satisfaction.
Anna’s Fatigue to Flourish Wellness Coaching Program look at your current approach and develop strategies, habits and behaviour change for instant relief from fatigue, overwhelm and frustration whilst regaining energy, vitality and your zest for life.
For more info please visit fatiguetoflourish.com.au